Career in Dietetics
Nutrition and dietetics is the science and art of human food based on the principles of dietetic. It is also called “science and art of human nutritional care. Diet plays an important role in the health and well-being of a person. The habit of a good and balanced diet improves life’s potential and poor diet improves disease and poor health. Diet is related to food management and nutrition is linked to health enhancement.
The role of nutritionists and dieticians is becoming more important because of changes in the food habits of the most urban population. Keeping the various facets of a person in mind, such as age, work routine, and illness etc., they suggest proper diet habits and medical science and improve their life capacity. They also teach their customer’s food preparation according to the principles of nutrition. They know about the effects of food production and processing, psychological factors affecting food choices, its effect on digestive and nutritional aspects. In near future, Increasing and moving population will increase the demand for food and nutritional counseling in nursing homes, schools, prisons, community health programs, and home health care agencies.
Role of Dietitian in Health Care
The role of a dietitian has been very important since the beginning of the 19th century. Many people are still unaware of their role. Some people think that dieticians give dietary opinions only to individuals to lose their weight, while this is a small part of their role. A dietary psychologist is a close link between the patient and the medical team or physician in making difficult decisions about nutritional care. The Asian Society of Parents and Environmental Nutrition (ASEN) states that the role of a dietitian in nutritional care, according to pre-established care standards, is to recommend adequate sources and quantities of balanced nutrients.
What a Dietitian do
- Planning for food and nutrition programs.
- Supervision of food arrangements in schools and hospitals.
- Suggesting dietary changes.
- Providing dietary instruction to patients who can improve their condition.
- Working with other healthcare professionals to raise multidisciplinary healthcare thinking.
- Provide information on the severity and the complexity of the illness and the food benefits and loads in all the imaginable routes.
- Being active in the patient’s care as a scientist on the patient’s nutritional status and as a consultant to the physician and medical team, and
- Provide information about patient care measures, such as more aggression or legal decisions to help with palliative care.
Popular Courses in Nutrition and Dietology
- Diploma in Nutrition and Dietology
- Diploma in Clinical Nutrition
- Diploma in Applied Nutrition and Diet Science
- Diploma in Diet Science and Public Health Nutrition
- BSc. in Nutrition and Diet Science
- BSc (Applied Nutrition)
- BSc in Clinical Nutrition
- PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietology
- PG Diploma in Diet Science and Nutrition Management
- PG Diploma in Diet Science and Therapeutic Nutrition
- PG Diploma in Diet Science and Applied Nutrition
- MSc in Nutrition and Diet Science
- MSc in Applied Nutrition
- MSc in Clinical Nutrition
- MSc in Diet and Food Management
If you want a course in Dietetics
In case you want a course in Dietetics and need help of an expert, please fill up the form below for a Career Counselling session which can lead you to get admission in Top Colleges.
Specializations in Diet Science:
Clinical dieticians are food nutrition service specialists in hospitals, outpatient clinics, and private practice. They evaluate the patient’s nutritional needs, plan their diet plans, advise the patient and monitor the progress of the recovery of the patient.
Community dieticians are those who work in health and fitness clubs, public health agencies and daycare centers. Their job is to advise individuals on food choices and direct programs in nutrition awareness and prevention.
Management dieticians are experts in food service systems or clinical management. They work in hospitals, nursing homes, school food service, cafeteria, and restaurants. They manage personnel, plan and manage staff training programs, outline food systems and make budget plans.
Consultant dieticians are independent business people who are nursing home consultants, book authors and work as counselors of patients in medical centers and fitness programs. They also develop and evaluate the food service system and work as independent advisers of the industry.
Career Opportunities as a Dietitian
Government hospitals, government health care departments, schools, colleges, factories, and cafeterias can work for the planning of nutritional needs.
Sports and Health Clubs
A dietitian can also work for game hostels and athletic camps. Health and recreation clubs, canteens and nursing care organizations also require the services of nutritionists and dieticians. Employment opportunities for them are also available in the catering department of star hotels and restaurants.
In addition to all these, they can also find opportunities in the mass media, where promotion and giving important information on healthy living is given high priority.
Personal consultant/practitioner: Veteran dietician can become assistant, associate, or director of a dietary department or become a self-employed person. Some dieticians gain expertise in areas like childhood. In addition to these, they can also work as personal advisors or private practitioners in Jim and Slimming Center etc.
Teaching, R & D
It includes activities and studies in laboratories to ensure the quality of various food items in research and development work, research on those items and the effects of various types of diet on the body. Researchers or nutritionists research on the nutritional values of food, which provide the right type of nutrition and give us balanced amounts of essential ingredients such essential vitamins, minerals etc. They can also pursue research careers in universities, public or private sector research institutes, food product manufacturing companies and hospitals. Diet science or nutrition science teaching is also a good option in colleges and universities.
Salary of a Dietitian
In government hospitals, educational institutions, research institutes, and other agencies, salary is determined by the government on the basis of work profile and experience. Some private sector hotels, restaurants, food manufacturers offer high salaries and attractive benefits. Independent practitioners and personal advisors also earn good income which depends on the number and nature of their clients.
At the entry level, one can earn from Rs 10000/- to Rs. 25000 /- every month based on salary potential and experience. At the higher position from it could be somewhere between Rs 25000/- to Rs. 1,00,000 / – on the basis of wage qualifications hold position, experience, and place. By and large work prospects are good and there is an anticipation of progress in the field with average work.
List of Nutrition and Diet Science Institutes
- Department of Home Economics (University of Delhi)
- Mumbai University, Mumbai
- Maharana Pratap Agriculture and Technology University, Udaipur
- Christian Medical College, Torapudi Post, Bagayam, Vellore-632
- Mumbai University, MG Road, Fort, Mumbai-400032
- Avinashigalingam Women’s Home Science and Higher Education Institute Coimbatore-641043
- All India Institute of Automobile Science and Public Health, Chittaranjan Avenue, Kolkata-700073
- Nathibai Damodar Thakars Women’s University (SNDT) Mumbai-400020
- Lady Irvine College, New Delhi
- Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Osmania University, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Maharaj Sayaji Rao University of Baroda, Vadodara
- Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad
- Elfonga College Pala-686574 (Self Financing) (affiliated with Mahatma Gandhi University)
- Teresa College, Ernakulam-682011
- Sri Ramchandra Medical College and Research Institute (Recognized University), Chennai-600116
- Sri Padmavati Mahila University, Tirupati 517502
- Vivekananda Mahila Arts and Science College, Science Namakkal, Tamilnadu
- Holy Cross Home Science College, Thuthukudi, Science, Tamilnadu
- Sri Ramchandra University, Chennai, Tamilnadu
List of Nutrition and Diet Science Institutes (Distance Education)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, www.ignou.ac See the post
- University of Home Economics (University of Delhi)
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai (Tamil Nadu)
- Nutrition Institute (affiliated with MTR Health Sciences)
- Sri Padmavati Mahila University, Tirupati (AP)
- Babi University, M.G. Road, Fort, Mumbai-400032
- Bangalore University, Central College, Campus, Dr. Ambedkar Road, Bangalore-560001
- Utkal University, Bhubaneswar
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj (open) University Bhopal
“You are welcome to Ideal Career. Here we ensure your successful career and future in the field of Dietetics. We focus on providing all assistance by making the admission easier and beneficial to admission seekers.